Rodents (mouse; rat)
Field of application:
- Basic sepsis research
- Modelling of pathophysiological processes within the human immune system during SIRS, sepsis and septic shock
- Testing novel therapeutic agents
- Drug testing
- Organ damage
- Defined time
Post mortem blood and organs are recovered for further analysis by various methods such as flow cytometry, cell sorting, western blot, immunohistochemistry, quantitative real‑time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR), cytometric bead array (CBA) or enzyme‑linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and high‑performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
Quality management and validation
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) like ciglitazone, pioglitazone and rosiglitazone are effective in reducing inflammation when administered in the hyperinflammatory phase of sepsis. In contrast, selective peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma modulators (SPPARγMs) and/or PPARγ antagonists, for example, 2-chloro-5-nitrobenzanilide (GW9662), are effective in reducing T cell apoptosis when administered in the hypoinflammatory phase of sepsis. Such compounds can be used as reference compounds for the development of new compounds for the treatment of sepsis.
- von Knethen A, Sha LK, Knape T, Kuchler L, Giegerich AK, Schulz M, Hauser IA, Brüne B. Activation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma counteracts sepsis-induced T cell cytotoxicity toward alloantigenic target cells. J Mol Med. Jun 2015; 93(6):633-644.
- Knape T, Flesch D, Kuchler L, Sha LK, Giegerich AK, Labocha S, Ferreirós N, Schmid T, Wurglics M, Schubert-Zsilavecz M, Proschak E, Brüne B, Parnham MJ, von Knethen A. Identification and characterisation of a prototype for a new class of competitive PPARγ antagonists. Eur J Pharmacol. 15 May 2015;755:16-26.
- Schmidt MV, Paulus P, Kuhn AM, Weigert A, Morbitzer V, Zacharowski K, Kempf VA, Brüne B, von Knethen A. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-induced T cell apoptosis reduces survival during polymicrobial sepsis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Jul 1 2011;184(1):64-74.